FOR ACNE, ACNE SCARS, SCARS
Smoothbeam acne treatment is a FDA-approved, safe and effective way to treat your face and back acne and improve acne scars. To treat active acne, Smoothbeam uses a laser to heat the sebaceous glands of the skin – the root cause of your acne – in order to reduce the number of acne lesions.
Smoothbeam emits a wavelength of light that is strongly absorbed by water in your skin. As the laser penetrates into the skin, heat is generated in and around the sebaceous glands in the upper layers of your skin. This creates a mild thermal injury that changes the function of the glands. After your first treatment, you will see a reduction in the number of acne lesions on your skin. These lesions do not reappear for as long as 6-18 months.
(1) Initial Consultation
Before your first treatment, you will come in for an initial consultation where we will discuss realistic expectations, explain how Smoothbeam works. If you have not already done so you, you will fill out Forms (which you can bring with you when you come in or fill out in office), and set up your schedule. If you are in compliance with the pre-treatment instructions and have no contraindications (see below), we may be able to do your treatment the same day. Alternatively, you may have a test patch performed to determine the most effective and safest settings for you and your skin.
After this, an appointment will be made for your full Smoothbeam treatment, and we will also go over ways to increase your Smoothbeam success with both products, combinations of treatments, and overall recommendations.
(2) Before Your Treatment
- Fill out all relevant forms on our FORMS page.
- Make sure to stay out of the sun and tanning booths for 2-4 weeks.
- Be sure you are not taking any medications that might make you sun sensitive such as antibiotics (Doxycycline) or Retin-A products for 1-2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- No harsh products (acids/exfoliants/NAIR/bleaching creams/sunless tanners) 1 week prior to your appointment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us when you call to make your appointment or anytime afterward.
(3) First Treatment
At your service appointment, you and your laser technician will wear safety eyewear to protect your eyes from the laser light, and your laser technician will guide the laser to the treatment areas with a small handpiece. You will feel the handpiece touch your skin and deliver multiple sprays of coolant in conjunction with each laser pulse. This protects the upper layer of the skin as laser light is being delivered.
Some patients are more sensitive than others, and be sure to discuss pain management with us if it is a concern of yours. For some patients, a topical anesthetic may be used prior to treatment.
(4) What To Expect
Depending on the size of the area, treatments usually last 5-15 minutes. If a topical anesthetic is used, additional time is required. The number of sessions depends on the treatment you require and the condition of your skin. Many factors impact the efficacy of individual laser treatments, including the severity of the acne being treated, your ability to stick to the prescribed appointment schedule to maximize treatment benefit, and following safety guidelines. All of these things will be discussed with you in greater length during your thorough initial consultation.
(4) Post Treatment
- A minimum of 3-6 treatments, 1-4 weeks apart is recommended with a regimen of skin care products.
- Avoid tanning booths and sun exposure (no change in color of skin) post-treatment for 2 weeks, and wear sunblock (SPF 40+).
- You should expect to see acne lesions reduce by 25-50% within 24 hours.
- Book a face treatment 3 weeks later so our esthetician can exfoliate and hydrate your skin professionally and recommend proper products and regimen to help with continued treatment and healing of your acne.
- You may have some redness and inflammation, but this should be temporary. This and other risks will be discussed with you during your initial consultation.
- Book your followup appointment before you leave so that you can remain compliant with your acne treatment schedule for best results.
Additional post-treatment instructions will be given to you at the time of your first treatment and are always available on our Forms page.
Before & After